Sunday, June 6, 2010

Daisy Dukes, Bikinis On Top!

I am a fan of music - I enjoy it in all its various flavors...

From the "1,2,3,4" count in of a Ramones song to the operatic/celtic/new age production of Enya -- yes, even "Waiting for a Star to Fall" by Boy Meets Girl has a place in my heart.


With that, I (Punchy) bring you my latest installment... sadly, it may require some updates as I try to recall past selections... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

As Summer rolls in, it brings many many things (at least for those of us in Los Angeles) -- First and foremost is some amazing weather.  Lately, I have found myself opening the sunroof, cranking some DLR Van Halen, and cruising through the city as I bathed in some blue sky and sunshine.  Yes, the sights, smells, and vibe of it all is almost too much... it's a great reminder of why I live here.  What's it mean?  Summer's arrived.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post... the Summer song... every summer has one and I love discovering them -- they've always been there, but some time ago I began to take notice and always enjoyed letting folks know what song I proclaimed to be my Summer song - for better or worse.

I remember the first time I did this.  It was 1996 and I was doing what I love to do in the summer... driving :) -- I remember the song being introduced on the radio -- Immediately, I started getting that feeling... like the song was sending me a message that Summer was officially underway.  I had never heard of the artist and haven't really heard from him since.  But, in 1996 UK recording artist Mark Morrison took the title with his track "Return Of The Mack".


You may call me crazy and think I'm an idiot... but SHIT -- in '96... that song got me.  Now, while that song has a permanent place in my brain (probably because it was the first) I'm having a hard time remembering other ones because I'm putting myself on the spot... I'm sure in the coming weeks I'll recall more.

But, with that, I am here to say I have come upon what I think is the 2010 Summer song.  Now, there isn't even an official video yet, so I may be premature in the accolades I'm bestowing on this song.  But I have a sinking feeling we will be hearing Katy Perry's "California Gurls" all Summer long.  I can already see myself downing Skinny Bitches at Drais on a Wednesday while this song gets dumped on the crowd.

You may disagree, you may think I'm an idiot.. or you may think I'm on the money...

Preview of the "California Gurls" video:


THE SONG:


I am pretty sure this is the one.  Please let me know if I'm missing something... but I think this is the one.  Feel free to post your suggestions of past jams you want to lay props to... and feel free to nominate your own Summer song for 2010... it's about fun (as Dave Cross would say on Mr. Show)

One Love,
PunchDrunk

**UPDATE** - 11:43PM -- OK, numb nuts!!!  I am not trying to claim I've discovered some song no one has heard before... CHRIST!!!! The song is everywhere, including tonight on the MTV Movie Awards.  That's not the point of this... All I'm saying is I like the song and (while I'm sure it was the intent of its creation to begin with) it sounds like my official summer song (along with the rest of the worlds) --  This is about meeeeeeee... not yoooooooooou! -- Katy Perry wants a Summer song... then I say,  "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!"  Now, good night, suckerz!

- P

1 comment:

  1. The song IS getting dumped on the crowd at Drais....

    LOL

    ReplyDelete