Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Anson Wiliams Dilemma

Look people – I know blew my mental load all over the Facebook yesterday, but I just had to let loose. Much of what I said was probably a bunch of bullshit. In fact, it was me just being a fucking egocentric elitist who thought he could show off by banging his drum. Basically, it was me bitching at myself (although I really can’t handle the douche bags who stand outside of Whole Foods with their clipboards).

I know there are many of us out there doing the best we can everyday and who are indeed trying to make the world a better place. HOWEVER, I think in order to do it successfully people need to do it and stop trying to get attention for it. I think the people who yell the loudest about the world’s woes are actually hurting their causes because it’s a turn off.

I am trying to make the world a better place through my children. By raising them to be the best possible people they can be and hopefully it will stick until they realize Mommy and Daddy are full of it. Then their real growing will begin. Beyond me just contradicting myself by writing that (because now I’m talking about it) I don’t talk about it – I just raise them. And when someone compliments me on how amazing they are, I smile and nod appreciatively – I don’t say “well, you know it’s because of me… blah blah blah” ---

All we can do as parents is give our kids the tools to build their lives. If I’ve done my job my kids will be able to navigate this landscape of life and do it in a way where they can wake up each morning and look in the mirror – knowing they’re doing the best they can and conducting themselves like decent human beings… I think there is a general lack of decency among people… I’m talking something as simple as waiting for people to exit an elevator before trying to step on...WTF?! It’s an extra 5-10 seconds out of your day to let people get off the elevator.

As much as I hate invoking 9/11, if society conducted itself everyday in the same manner they did in the weeks following that tragedy then the world could fix itself plain and simple… selfless acts of humanity right there for the world to see. Same goes for Katrina… Watching how the world comes together in the face of tragedy is inspiring, but why can’t it always be like that… because we’re a distracted people. Weekly Lotto Jackpots, Reality TV, and TGIFriday Happy Hours sound like a lot more fun then helping your fellow man… shit, I’m hungry right now thinking about that TGIFridays even though I know the food sucks.

I’m not going to go on much longer – I’ll save it for the next one. I know my writings can seem scattered – more like stream of consciousness, but I like seeing where my thoughts take me… look I had no idea I’d be dropping a 9/11 mention, so I’m just as surprised as you are.

If I can leave you with one inspiring thought tonight it’s this. Don’t be such a Potsi!

Stay Gold,
Longstreet

No comments:

Post a Comment